The process

There's a process I follow before getting rid of an item
in my monthly closet edits, it's something I always do.
This time around the item being examined:




 an American Raglie cardigan.
I found it in my closet a few posts back 
while doing an inspired by look.

After I wore it that day I noticed that it had
some piling and that it was not very structured
so I had to be pulling on it that day.  
Also the sleeves seemed to have stretched out a bit.

SO, I went back and did the process:

1. Checked the blog to see when I bought it:
Happens I don't know, it's older than the blog, 
so it's estimate is 4 or 5 years.
2. How many times has it been worn ?
Went back and counted: 11 times in 5 years.
3. How did it look when I wore it ?
That's when I go back and look at the posts...
this is what I came up with:


I've worn it mostly over dresses, usually to cover
up sleeveless dresses.


Even though it served its purpose, I don't love any of the looks.


I also learned that I seem to be wearing more color these days and that my
last 3 choices have been a lot better that my previous ones.



While I do not remember how much it  cost, I can 
assume that cost per wear is low.

After doing this process I then decide if it stays or goes.

This time around, I decided it's leaving.

For me, closet editing is a constant process.

How about you ?

How do you do it ?


5 comments

Meli said...

I pull out everything in my closet 2x a year approx. put back my favorites and try everything else on before deciding if it goes back in the closet, goes to the tailor, thrown away/donated/re sold.

LyddieGal said...

Looks like it had a good life, and it was time to go. sometimes we just need to get rid of the old.
i think after my last purge, it will be easier to do in the future. I hope so anyway!
Chic on the Cheap

The Key To Chic said...

It's such a great color, and you got some great wear out of it! I edit every few months and decide to alter, sell, or donate depending upon on an item's condition and trendiness. It is a constant process, as my closet is never big enough :)

Mica said...

Thank you for sharing your process! I am trying to edit down my wardrobe a lot more now, and I try to give things one last wear, but apart from that I don't really have a process.

I think I need one!

Elegance and Mommyhood said...

I did a lot of editing to my closets in US and now I need to do the same here in Europe, especially after adding a lot of stuff in 2013. I like your process, very smart. I agree, the last 3 Outfits with that cardigan are the best, though it looks great with Dresses. I have a very similar cropped cardigan in that color, currently in US.