Finding treasures in second hand shops

While I am aware that some folks are just not the thrifting, second hand shopping type, like I said here: you do not know what you are missing out on.

If you are already on board with consignment shopping, here are a few tips for when you're out treasure hunting:

  • Take your time: if you are in a hurry you might miss out. This means go through all the racks, your size or not.. sometimes items are hung out of place.
  • Google it : once you find something interesting, maybe the fabric stands out or its a brand you have never heard of: google it. Not only will you learn more about the garment, see how other people have worn it, but you will also have a price to refer to and know if you're getting a good deal or not. 
  • Pay NO attention to size on the label : since you will stand in front of racks of clothing from different decades, size numbers on labels cannot be trusted: So try it on.
  • Quality : most of the time vintage clothing is far better quality than anything made today, fabrics, linings and zippers prove it. Also the fact that it is still around !
  • Great place to shop for leather: If you are able to find good quality leather in a department store today odds are you are paying a high price, second hand shops offer a wide selection of leather goods at reasonable prices. Some may be soiled but most leathers can be cleaned at home.
  • Some things are new! : this means that you are paying second hand shop prices for something new, because sometimes we buy things that we never wear and they end up in the consignment store. 
  • Too good to be true happens: believe me, it does. I personally have success stories that range from brands like Missoni, Coach and Lanvin purchased for less than 20.00 USD. 
Any other tips ? Please share your wisdom !


9 comments

Black Dress Inspiration said...

Tendré que mirar más las tiendas vintage porque pocas veces he comprado
Bss

http://www.blackdressinspiration.com

Laura B said...

These are such great tips, especially about the sizes! Sometimes things shrink or stretch out which change the sizes, too.

Sheila said...

Awesome tips, Lorena!

Unknown said...

Great post! Love your picks.
Thanks for sharing!! Xx, Raysa

Mica said...

Time is the big reason I haven't been opshopping much lately - you're right there are gems to be found in second hand stores (I've seen a vintage Dior suit before) but if you don't have time it will be hard for you to find them. It's really a relaxing shopping experience, more about the browsing than the buying!



Away From The Blue Blog

Aria Di Bari said...

These are good tips! I love vintage items!

http://ariadibari.com

Tatjana said...

Very useful tips Lorena! I am a passionate online second-hand clothing and I've been telling my friends same as you-they don't know what they're missing.
Thanks so much sharing hon.
Cheers,
T.
https://tbymallano.com/

backinstyle said...

Great tips, Lorena. You know I love a good thrift shop! I try to carve out an hour a week to visit one. I enjoy browsing, and seeing so many possibilities jumbled together, it's eye candy! I know it's not for everyone, though, it does take time to find a treasure, but I love the thrill of the hunt!

A Very Sweet Blog said...

I need to start visiting consignment shops, but I have found some great pieces on eBay.
http://www.averysweetblog.com/